
You know when you get into a television show, find a new perfect eyeshadow color, or even a pair of jeans that fits just right? What happens? It gets discontinued. Well, that has happened to me, but with an airline. My favorite airline, Skybus, is dead. In researching for this story I am totally impressed with Wikipedia for having already updated their definition. Skybus was a small, low-cost carrier based in Columbus, OH (very convenient for me). My sister-in-law actually flew to Seattle, Boston and Florida for $10.
I am very egocentric to say Skybus was great. It was great for me. I am 30 minutes to the airport in Columbus (door to door) and 15 minutes from my Dad's near St. Augustine (door to door). My dad had his stroke on a Thursday. I was at the hospital by 8am Friday. I was planning on going to see him again on the 18th of April. Those plans are dashed as I was going for the weekend and by the time I pay $350 to get there (maybe) with one stop, and one hour back and forth for my stepmom to pick me up in Jacksonville, I'd get to spend maybe an hour with my dad.
It is said that you can call your credit card company and get your money back. That's just money. Isn't there a time in your life when your time becomes more important than money? So here we are, back to flying into Orlando, which from Columbus, OH is the least expensive and closest city to my dad with a direct flight.
I took Asian History in college, and the professor did actually say one thing that has stuck with me all this time. "Technology has made the world monumentally smaller." The space between me and my dad just got monumentally bigger.
I took Asian History in college, and the professor did actually say one thing that has stuck with me all this time. "Technology has made the world monumentally smaller." The space between me and my dad just got monumentally bigger.

1 comment:
I hate when things like this happen but Oshkosh only has an airport still for 3 reasons - corporate planes, transport of Oshkosh Truck vehicles to the military and EAA the annual airshow.
I'm sorry that distance got larger I know how tough that has to be at this juncture in life.
Post a Comment