I had been considering changing Charlie to a different Suzuki School for violin. Our present school was not convenient and I really did not like the director (see my previous post Cranky Suzuki Mom).
So I called another Suzuki School I had heard good things about. I emailed the director, she seemed really nice. They expected me to buy an electronic tuner, but that was fine. They were a little more expensive, but that was ok, too. I emailed the individual instructor the director suggested and found out she had a "keyboard requirement." This means the kids have to learn keyboard as they learn violin. Ok, to me, that's a bit much. It's hard enough to get Charlie to practice violin twice a week let alone throwing in keyboard. Not to mention I'd have to buy a keyboard. I emailed the director back and asked for a recommendation for another individual instructor who did not have a keyboard requirement (which she had offered up front to do anyway). At that point I got an email scolding about how the teacher she had recommended was the founder of the school, and students are lucky to be able to train with her.
Not long after this transpired a woman from our present school called asking for my email address. I told her "Well, we are changing Suzuki schools."
"Really, why?"
"Um, er, well, um, to be perfectly honest..."
"Yes?"
"I don't like the was Ginny interacts with my kid."
"Well, my son is in Book 4, and I have found Ginny to be very patient with him."
"Huh."
"I commiserate with other Suzuki Moms all the time. It's hard. It's not just music training, it's a parenting style."
Something clicked in my head. Something that had been bubbling just under the surface for a while. I don't know why it takes me so long to come to terms with things. I had been forcing myself, and more importantly, Charlie into a situation that was no fun. I mean, if it stressed me out, it had to be why he hated it.
"Well," I said. "I believe it may conflict with my parenting style."
I emailed the director of our school that day to tell her we were quitting. I emailed the woman from the other school and told her we were no longer interested. Nobody emailed me back. Nobody asked why.
The last chapter of this tale is I found Charlie a fiddle instructor. She didn't really mind how he held the bow. She let him sit down when he played. He's already learned the first two lines of "Bile Them Cabbage Down." The second line, I might add by ear.
I don't know if he's going to stick with it. He still complains about it, but we actually got through one thirty minute practice session Tuesday. He says he wants to quit, yet in the same breath says "When I get good, I will be able to play real fast."
For more information, read the Wiki on Suzuki Method.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think it took guts to switch like that. Good for you. Sounds like it'll be a much better fit.
Post a Comment